Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2016

An Open Letter to President Obama

Dear Mr President,
I realize your time left in office is dwindling and it hurts my heart to think about you leaving. You have touched the lives of millions of Americans, including me. I was nine when you were first elected in 2008, and even though I didn't understand much about politics, I cheered when you won. It was exciting for me as young girl interested in social studies and the Civil Rights Movement to see a black president for the first time.
When you were up for re-election in 2012 I was in the seventh grade and had a bit more of a grasp on politics. My own opinions began to develop and I admired you even more. I cannot bear the thought of you leaving office in just two months. You have certainly become one of my role models, as well as your incredible wife, Michelle.
To be truthful, I am terrified of what is to come when you turn the presidency over to Donald Trump. Sobs shook my body the night that fear-mongering monster became the president-elect.
President Obama, I will miss the strong, graceful, kind first family that was yours. The physical ache I feel imagining an America without you at the helm is indescribable. It is impossible to forget the way you supported and built up your spectacular daughters every chance you had. Your ability to keep your composure in the face of terror and tragedy was inspirational to me. When we were in fear, cowering, and turning on one another, you encouraged us to join together instead of creating distance and divide.
In your eight years, you have clearly shown the American people you care, and I could not be more grateful. Thank you for all of the hard work you have done and that you will continue to do.

Sincerely, 
Kalliope Bessler







Sources:

1 comment: